Friday 3 October 2008

This Is How It'll be for A Semester

Chapter 9: Week 1.

Alrighty boys and girls, my first week of lectures is nearly over (I only have one lecture today, at 4) and now I know how I'll be spending my weeks. Well not exactly.

Week 1 was the week of enrollment, first sessions, introductory meetings, sports trainings etc. So my weeks will never be as filled up as this one was. I had so much to do, I didn't know how I was gonna manage doing it all.

Monday I had my three classes and the Riding meet. Nothing much, not too hectic.

Tuesday, 2 lectures, 1 screening and 4 activities (as I call the meets/sessions/etc.). How to manage to do it all. Let me tell you this now, I couldn't. However, I managed to do all but one, which I can postpone: screening. I can just rent or watch the DVD in the Library.
After my second Lecture, which was German, I head up to the Union for the introduction to STAR (St Andrews Radio). It lasted about 45mn, and was quite helpful/useful, whatever.
I came back to drop my stuff in my room and immediately after I arrived, Tom came in. Then he wanted to drop his stuff so we both head down to his room. It was 6 O'clock. For some odd, odd reason, that I can't figure out, we started looking for the longest and highest bridges in the world and locate them on Google earth. At 6h55 we decided to head out for dinner. Problem was, dinner is from 6h15 to 6h45, and we totally forgot that, we inverted it with the lunch times which are from 12h45 to 1h20.
We meet Alex on our way who tells us it's no use to go because all the food will be gone. He also didn't have dinner. Never mind Alex, Tom and I ran the E corridor, up the stairs, D corridor, down the stairs to the dining room. And we enter it just as they ring for seconds. We were so happy.
As we sat down I remembered that at 7 I had the Polo meet (and the screening, and the go meet.) So I swallowed my dinner in 5mn, ran out of Hall, to the Rule on South Street.
I get there on time, because it wasn't a meet, it was more like a pay and sign up thing.
When that's done, I don't stay for the drinks and fun, I run to the Union for my go meet. I learn and play a little go and at 9 I'm pretty knackered and decide to head back to Hall.
On my way back I decide that I'm not going to sign up for Go, as I already have so much to do as far as sports, societies, volunteering, and I should eventually and occasionally work too.
I also meet people who told me the film was crap (Night Watch) so it's not like I missed a movie to see on the big screen, on a computer it should do just fine!

Wednesday before Arabic I go to RBS to pick my debit card up, but they are so friggen slow, that I only got it at 10h57-ish and so had to run out and run to my Arabic lecture. I hate being late. I came in after everyone was seated, but before Fabio was in, so that was good timing too.
After the lecture I signed up for my tutorial and immediately went to the Union to audition for this "professional film" that some people are filming in association with Rogue Productions.
'twas pretty fun, I had to be insulted by two drunken idiots with no future(NB:that were their characters, not the actual guys). It was great fun. I don't expect to be chosen though. hehe.
Then I come back at about 12h50, I change to my riding stuff and am ready to head down to get a packed lunch. 
I didn't know you had to sign up for them, so it was a little bit of talk before they actually gave it to me, but eventually the lady was nice enough to give me the wraps.
I ran out for the sport center as I had Archery training for novices from 1 to 3. It was 1 when I left and I made it to the science buildings at 1h10 by running. Then I stopped and figured there was no way I would have time to do archery and run back into town for 1h30, when we were gonna leave for team trials. So I just immediately walked back for that.

It was a 5mn drive there and we each got an average of 5 minutes on a horse. They only had 5 horses for about 25 people. Plus they paid £15 per horse (ie £75 total) and we EACH had to pay £15 for trials. We were ROBBED!

I head back into town, and Casey (the girl who drove us there) was nice enough to drop me off just in front of Baptist Church where I had my Training for Befriending at 3. Wasn't late. Woot!
It lasted two hours, was quite interesting, and I'm looking forward to being a befriender. I must tell you right now that I won't be able to give details of my time with the kid, or about the kid itself, because I have sworn confidentiality and I don't want to be kicked out of the program. So yeah, sorry about that. You'll know some things obviously... don't worry.

Later in the night I had the Rogue Production (RP) meeting, and that was quite interesting too. I talked to members of the committee and they're absolutely adorable (as in nice) and one of them actually proposed I get on the committee. This would be really rad as I'm really into this society. I want to try EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. I've sworn to that. Editing, acting, producing, directing, whatever, you name it, I'll do/try it!

In the evening I just sat in the common room, quoting Anchorman with Hannah and watching Eilidh and Kirsten be drunk, and wasted, and pass out on the couch, and other really funny things.

Thursday I just had my three lectures and my Arabic tutorial. German for beginners is beginning to annoy and bore me, it's going to slow for me. The problem is they can't put me in the intermediate class as I have not studied German at school, so I'm stuck with reciting the alphabet and such right now. Yawn.

I was meant to go to trampoline but I decided not to go as the trampoline training times were clashing with tennis for example and as I thought "when will I be able to bounce other than at uni?". Instead I stayed home and talked to my beautiful lover. <3
And some "Newsteam assemble" in the common room.

So now I have 4 sports, 4 societies and 1 volunteer work. Oh and 3 modules. :] let's not forget what we're here for.

Friday, after breakfast I get dressed, and Chrissi, Camron and I head to the Dunhill Links Cup. We are on a quest. A quest to find three people: Luke Wilson, Hugh Grant and Samuel Jackson.
I saw them all! omg yes!
First I saw Hugh up close. He was standing 1 meter away from me, on the other side of the barricade. I tried not to stare but I did smile at him and he smiled back, so he's not one of those who think so highly about themselves and so low about others.
Then Samuel had to tee off, it wasn't a really good shot to be honest. He was hiding, well no, actually maybe he was realllly cold. After all, they ALL had mittens on. And I can tell you, as I was freezing my hands off, that it was pretty windy and chilly. BEAUTIFUL day out, but icy cold.
I was making my way back to Hall when I noticed it said "WILSON" on the teamboard, so I figured he was playing. And indeed he was. His ball had landed in the bunker. It was the funniest thing. 
He goes in to hit, hits the ball, gets all the sand in his eyes and sadly, the ball falls right back into the bunker as it was kind of a cylinder, not a bowl or a little pond shaped thing. Second try. He learns from his mistake as immediately after hitting the ball, he turns around and curls up in a ball, as to not get any sand, and he didn't. On top of that, this time the ball was out. yipee.

After that I seriously made my way back into Hall and had a nice hot water bottle (HWB) waiting for me. aaaah the joy!
Also, totally unexpected, my Lover came online. Such a cutie, made a t-shirt in thought of me. (yes, yes, I know the "You" stands for me.).

Anywhoo, after lunch, we're heading out to see the Fab3 and take photos with/of them.


No comments: