Monday 27 October 2008

Get ready, set, Work!

Chapter 12: All work, and...play!

Who are we kidding boys and girls?

I'm at university now, it's not school anymore, where it sometimes had to be all work, no play. but here, nuh uh, that's not even an option! you'd depress without some fun in between your work. Or more likely, some work in between your fun. :D Even the nerdy/geeky kids have their fun by playing their video games or whatnot. No, I tell you, University isn't work, work, work. Sure, you've got to do it, and mostly you don't (I do, don't worry) unless you know it's going to be graded, then you do. Still, if you need between a 5 and a 7,5 to pass, you're not too worried ;)

Yeah, about that, who said uni was hard as sh*t? Not here! It's not easy, and it IS challenging, but we can't really call freshman year "complicated" or "hard", unless you're talking about your relationship status. Because, yes, for most people here, it will be complicated, or hard to get/keep someone. Anyway, I won't have that problem either. I've got all I want, and all I need in a wittle town called Brussels. Number 194 in the avenue of the... wait, I won't tell you where my one and only lives, you might stalk him and try to steal him from me! I wouldn't let it happen anyway :] I'm too attached.

Anyway, 4th week, and yeah I'm getting more work. There's the usual german homework, like you would get when learning a language back at school. And then there's that Arabic homework, which is not actually given to you. This is the tricky part about uni, you've got to invent your own homework in order to follow up. But if you get a good rhythm since the beginning and follow up to what you've told yourself to do, then you're just F-I-N-E. Except sometimes, I don't. But then I catch up. :) I had a 16 in my previous class test and the one from week 4  I got another 20. I improved! Anyway..

I'm going to be a photographer for the McIntosh Naked Calendar, which could be quite a big laugh. I'll tell you more about it when we get to it. Or even decide what the theme will be. Because at our meeting we vaguely had the idea of doing  "a night out in St Andrews", which would involve taking naked pictures in our favorite bars and at Empire, our local kebab, pizza, fries place for incase you get the munchies late at night. 

My tuesday screening was Alfred Hitchcock's "The conversation", really good movie, great actress, you should watch it. It's not scary like "The Birds" :P

Wednesday's Archery was cool because there were less people, so more play. I mean, more shooting. :) We were also explained all of the parts and functions of the Bow and all those extra accessories. Needless to say that I can't remember any of the names, and I might remember half of the functions. Anyway, our coach's point was : A good bow, costs a hell of a lot of money! (all in all hers was +£1000)
Tennis this time was rather fun, even if it did start drizzling in the end. I tested out my new super skill of the good raquet holding position, which worked like a charm, and that rubbery thing to stop the vibrations (that Tom nicely bought for me. I mean no, he went to buy it for me, and then I paid him back) works great!
I played with Maria-Christina, a lovely Italian girl who's also in my Film tutorial group.
When the two others left, we actually continued playing, and since we're not pros we kind of hit the ball to the far left/right, causing us to run, A LOT! That's how I hurt my left leg. GREAT!

Thursday I went to rent some dvds because I thought it was about time for me to start my Film tutorial presentation. I only watched them on Friday morning.
Oh sorry, I watched Mulholland drive (if anyone understood this movie, please post a comment). That was the weirdest and most confusing movie of all times, that I have seen. and the music just puts you under a lot of stress. Gee, thanx David Lynch, that's just what I need!
Then I watched Rosemary's Baby, which is referenced as a Horror movie, and so, if it is, I am proud to say that it might actually be my favourite horror movie. You should know I don't like horror movies and thrillers, and I make it clear to everyone that if you want to watch one of those with me, I promise you I will ruin it for you. They're so predictable (except for mulholland drive, crazy shit right there) and stupid.
Anyway, long story short, none of these worked for my presentation about sound.
Friday I had my Polo lesson with Laura from last time, Joely and Harriet, and a new acquaintance Tom something. really nice guy. Smiley too. That's always great!
After coming back and not missing the bus (btw we took the exact same one to go and come back, nice driver we had!), I went to hall to save my radio text and just took my computer to the station.
It was a fun experience actually being in a closed space with plenty of microphones and having to read the news for XX of people to hear! I had too much to read and too little time though, so in the end my throat was so dry and I was in a desperate need for water.

On sunday I collected 3 new movies, Ucho/the ear, for my film thing and Saturday night fever and Manhattan for my own pleasure. but if they actually seem more interesting to use, I might do that.

Anyway, that's all about my week. :)


Good night,  dear people!

xx Lar

No comments: